Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Living from the pages

Suddenly last evening I felt like I had grown wings.I had walked out of a book shop with some modest shopping in my hands.I had never loved myself as much before. My act was somehow empowering, enhancing, exciting and such similar superlatives that put me up on a pedestal so high, that even I could not reach me.The whole feeling was oddly romantic, and supremely pleasurable.

I cannot claim to be a voracious reader. But I do justice enough to call reading an interest, and have come so far as to have nutured a palate for such writing that is simple enough to implant in me a bit of the story itself.

I live in a collective of my own worlds, built from silly tales of speaking animals and impressive characters from my favourite stories. I live in the descriptive smells of cauldrons boiling with soup and the verbose narrations of the market place of suburban mumbai.I can hear the sounds when I read - be that Noddy's toy car or the brutal beating cracked down on a wife. My chest explodes with breath, as the words unravel before my eyes.

I see every scene as a page out of a writer's book. As if it was her creation and her painting. As if it took birth in text, in slanted cursive writing on yellowing parchment, that was tied into a bundle with some coir rope and abandoned into a corner to gather sweet smelling dust.And when I see it, murky at first and vivdly later,it all looks so unreal. So evasive.Yet enticing enough to beckon me to live in it. And so I do. Live each scene from my life like a chapter from a story that I did not pen. I feel philosophical in one sense. As if I have just conjured up my own theory of life. And then it runs away- my theory- skimpers away like a rabbit, closes itself like touch-me-not even before I reach it.

5 comments:

Abhinav said...

I felt the same while reading "it's not about the bike" adrenalin pumping , even "the motorcycle diaries " feeling the ride with hands spread.

the blogger formerly known as sansmerci said...

thats a very poetic potrayal i shud c.. where were u so long dear? pls write more often!

Sugar said...

@abhinav:
i totally get you :)

@swar:
i lose myself..i've just found me!!!yayyyy!!!!! and i'll sure be writing more often..

Proseaholics said...

FYI - you need to update your links missy, i long moved away from the bar. now hiding in an aquarium of sorts :)

Zachattack said...

Oh I'm a very voracious reader and I know exactly how it feels...I read and I reread and reread yet again...i probably like books better than people:)..
You know-going back to a book you love is like going back to a familiar lover..
You know how it makes you feel, how it will progress, how it must end..
But that doesn't take away the beauty and mystery of it..

For just like how it is with your lover..
There always is the potential of a new discovery!!!