Friday, October 17, 2008

Tagged!Good Whiskey-Scotch is not an Obsession- Just a secret!

Been tagged by Inexplicably this time, and its about obsessions. I'm perpetually whining about how there's so much to do and so little time. So I presume 5 obsessions must be easy to come up with. I'm usually obsessed with mundane things, and like Murphy's propositions - the more I'm obsessed, the less i do the thing. Simple things are not getting done. Its just that I've got so many things going at the same time and in order to do reasonable justice to all, some of the things which is not-really-an-emergency and some of those wee-bit-boring-things do remain unfinished. For example, the market's crashing and everyone says its a good time to get in. But I don't have the time to sign up for a trading /demat account, because I'd rather spend those hours and that effort in front of mybooks, even if I am not exactly studying. What I'm doing is really a fire fighting job, minimum damage under maximum pressure.



When I began to write this I thought I've lost obsessions, but no,i guess its not that way...I still have em, (haah!!i'm still alive) just they are not like- right-there-in-the-face-type obsessions. They are just those deep seated obsessions which may not do the vanishing act just like that.



Bharatanatyam is my first. And I can say it sans all the murkiness I may associate with the rest. I've learnt the dance form for a long time now, and though I have not done it too many times, the stage and spotlights are something which could be my second and third obsessions. No matter how boring or drab I might sound, Bharatanatyam has taught me how to present myself publicly, its taught me some grit to survive in the midst of a life that went terribly out of track some months ago, its taught me hard work. I don't proclaim to do justice to fact that I've got things going with this form of dance, but it still is my life. I'd love to get into that kalakshetra saree and wear my kaajal and bindi and chalangai and commit myself to it. May be I would have done it if certain things were another way. But somewhere along the way formal education took a toll on my passion. I'm also the epitome of this attempt to be so many things at the same time, that leaves me in such incredulous situations.Siiiiiiiiiigghh!



Academics is my second. At 45 I'd love to be an academician who's going to her post doctoral fellowship thesis on something to do with law, women, religion, economics and the communist theory. How I'm going to link em all up, I have no clue now. Forty five is a long way to go. I have time I guess.In the process, I'd love to be an inspirer. Someone at whom atleast one person will point her fingers at and say- "wish I could be like her".



My third would be sugar. Yea. You read me right. Sugar it is! Candy, mithai, ice cream, dessert, pastries - you get the drift. I'm dead sure I'm going to die of renal failure. But hell!I'm going to die anyway. So I have no qualms. I love it and will stay this way.



Vishaka Hari is my fourth. She is a performer par excellence and man!!is she good!She is basically into musical discourses on Hindu mythology. One need not be religious to listen to her. Its like a story telling, and how alive she brings the story. The thing with her musical renditions is that the package deal as such is just perfect. Her make-up, costume, music, expressions. She is an inspirer and a great one at that. I won't waste her with my words. She fabulous and will stay that way!



My fifth obsession is my past. The more I run away from it, the faster it gets to me. I don't mean to sound like someone with a crazy past or anything. Mine's been pretty normal. Usual. Nothing extraordinary. But many times I'm always caught in this effort of being different from what I was.I'm not trying to sound like one of those ideal characters from a self help book. But either I don't like what I've done or how I've been. Sometimes, I feel like I'm running away from myself. Yea I know I sound like i need a shrink right away. May be I do, cos there are days when I drive myself nuts. So, yea...thats been five I guess.



I'm supposed to tag five people. But I wont do it. Simply cos, most ppl have already done this tag, plus I'm not really in the mood for tagging. But if someone reading this actually feels like, tag along. And lemme know. Will be a pleasure.

16 comments:

Proseaholics said...

no place for alcohol in the 5?? i disown you.

oh wait i never owned you in the first place.

damn it!!

Abhinav said...

well you have obsession for academics sounds really great and thanks for providing a link on your blog , I am soon coming up with a blog covering chennai food outlets.

Sugar said...

joe,
no alcohol :(...no company to down the drinks :(..i'll become a lonely alcoholic otherwise!

abhinav,
yup!!looking forward to your blog!

How do we know said...

nicely done tag, and ur obsessions are so different from the rest of the set that i have read...

Proseaholics said...

with a bottle by your side,
you can never lonely be.

Sugar said...

how do...
yea...what fun is it to be a run-off-the mill prototype?thanks..

joe...
oh no!!i don't think things have got that terrible...for now I'm happy with the drinks you serve...

Baidik said...

Hey Edita.. Ummm.. a Bourgeoisie at 26 and a communist theorist at 45? Besh! U know.. I've tried to understand this as well.. but realized that you cant be enjoying the bourgeoisie school and wish to understand the other camp.

Btw.. Kali Puja tomo evenin at Kali Bari.. and don't miss the Bhog :)

Naga Lakshmi said...

yaa..i am frm ILS...I was not fortunate to meet Dr.Sathe. But we have been hearing lot about him. ILS now organises Memorial lectures too in the month of March...so what do u do now??

Sugar said...

@baidik,
atleast I'm not a hypocrite. wud like to get the best of bost wrold. Just research I said...that does not mean I turn Communist!!
missed the Kaali bari this time...hope to catch it next time around...

@NL
Dr.Sathe was a cute ol man...guess he was the best part of ILS...

sansmerci said...

i kno m late here.. n m late to do the tag too.. wats keepin me busy .. c my next post..

ur obsessions n answers r so diff from the rest n was interestin to read.. write on!

Curry Pan said...

i deserve to be shot. but instead il de-tag myself twice. once for last time and this time il take the privilege of taggin myself from you :)
my exams just got over n i went to a mad mexican party to get out of it :D :D heh . call me crazy
but i dont drink ;)

Sugar said...

Merc..
loyalist that you are...never late babe...

aarabi...
no sweat...there a million things one does under pressure...blogging better not be one of em..take ur time and keep it cool...

sansmerci said...

tagged :)

Anonymous said...

FYI - im quite gonna look forward to hearing what you might have to say on this weekends post. *evil grin*

Sugar said...

merc
babe...too much hard work!!will do it after my exams!!

joe
hmm...am looking forward to the post as well :)wonder what its abt...

Anonymous said...

This article was extremely interesting.