Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Chennai, Navarathri and How I found Bliss...

Although the Navarathri is technically celebrated for nine days, I effectively got only two days to sort of lounge in the glory of the festivities, thanks to my ultimately screwed up daily routine, which results in my being so thankful for getting three extra minutes in bed. Anyway, since cribbing takes up a substantial part of time otherwise, I'll keep this post water tight from any leaks of my perpetual ramble.

Well yesterday and today, really makes me so happy to be here in Chennai, though ideally I would have liked to round off today with a kutcheri by the Priya Sister's. Notwithstanding that, the last two days were very fulfilling.

If you have followed my writing so far, you must know, I have an adept interest in intently overhearing conversations that do not fit me in the loop. Hence, in the exercise of my most effecient skill, I learnt that Kaali Bhari, in west mambalam had a great Durga Pooja going. No no, I am not bengali (though a very dear friend of mine thinks I speak Bengalised Tamil... :P) but I still decide to make it there. When I entered the temple precincts, the first thought that came to my mind was an understanding of the reason behind why photography is banned in many temples. The beauty of the Lord is so immense that one would never want to even take her eyes off for a moment, and to capture it in a still does no justice to the eyes or the beauty. We were there for the Aarthi. I've not seen anything of the like before, and was therefore, was even more in awe. I've seen devotees in ISCKON dance in surrender before Krishna, but there everyone is dancing to the beats of the Dholak, its a different kind. Here the priest broke in to a little dance as he offered fruit and flowers and camphor. It was a gentle dance, where I felt he really was enjoying his job. There were two percussion instruments, the names of which I do not know. One could have been a dholak and the other a big dholak. The third was a metallic instrument, somewhat like a gong. so as they played the beats, he sways - this way and that- like a leaf in a gentle breeze with the offering in his hand, and I am so sure that the Goddess would have been compelled in that atmosphere to grant any wish that the priest had in mind. At that moment I thought I felt bliss, and any more words that I write will really be empty.

If I felt part 1 of bliss yesterday, today was part 2. I think I have not felt this elated in a loooooonnnnng time. I wore my chalangai after 6 long years, and man! let me tell you, those years were really unfulfilling. The jingling of the bells is really my favourite sound in the whole world! Bharatanatyam has meant a world to me, and is very very dear. I only hope I get back on stage to do a few performances. We also did an evening temple visit to Agasthiar temple behind pondy bazzar in T.Nagar where the puja style was back to the usual tam-brahm, and special pujas were done for Goddess Saraswathi. This is the reason I love this city. None of my needs ever feel incomplete.

Truthfully, I am not competent enough to sustain an argument on the presence or absence of God. Neither is it my endeavour. I simply accept some things because I love it, irrespective of whether logic and reasoning can be awarded to it. Colour and culture will always remain my most favourite facets of life. It is a world by itself, and that's where I have my space!

7 comments:

Abhinav said...

Really have not seen a navratri for a long time will find time next year.

Anonymous said...

I know we could not meet for the past three days despite our extensive planning...but reading this one piece of writing has given me the satisfaction of having spent each second of thos three days in your company! lovely dear...as usual...

Baidik said...

Glad you enjoyed Kali Bari :) Did you enjoy the food ?? Yup, I am a Bengali :) You must also make it to Bengal Association next year.. the Durga Puja celebs there are gud too..

Liked ur descrip on Ma Kali, could'nt agree more!

And on the dance part, Kali Bari is a platform for a lot of performing artists.. let know if you wanna perform one of these days..

Missed a few of ur posts.. let me subscribe to ur feeds

Sugar said...

@abhinav,
yea sure...chennai is a great place to see the navaratri, albeit a different style than in north india.but the spirit of the festival is quite vibrant

@anonymous,
thanks babe...when i put this up i thought it was the worst writing ever...

@baidik,
yea sure will be a pleasure..u know i'm kinda scared of these 'regional association' thingies. The groupist attitude scares me.
abt the dance...really???? :):):)thanks a ton...will sure let you know...need to get a lil practise...

Baidik said...

I could'nt agree with you more on thsi 'Groupist' thing.. but Bong's are most at home with a Hetrogen crowd!! They like to talk and discuss arbit things u see.. (Please don't quote Mamata :P.. she's a serious exception !)

Besides the Kali Bari is a Trust consisting of Bongs and TamBrams.. no group vroup anyway.. :)

Sugar said...

Baidik,
yea figured as much...that must quite a power the Kaali Bari - with the two most intelligent races coming together..have decided to frequent it more often..loved the vibrations at that place!

Baidik said...

Welcome Edita :) Will remind you when the nxt 'Amavasya' is.. Of course, get your folks along on 28th Oct..